Tuesday, September 6, 2016

5$ TV Remote Control Using Smart Phone

I have following goals for controlling my Infrared Controlled Appliances:
  • Towards the goal of the controlling my TV, Set-Top-Boxes,AC,etc, at lower cost less than 5$ (or even go less in case one has  more IR appliances or one has already a raspberry/chip in home for Home Automation/IoT works) per device. I am leaving the cost of central controller, whose cost would be around 9$.
  • Design/Develop an Open Sourced system like LIRC project that controls the IR appliances using smartphone and WiFi(there by avoiding line of contact issues in IR based remote controls)
  • Make any old TV(including CRT TV and LED TVs that are not smart TVs,etc) to be  controlled from any smart phone
  • Also ensure that smartphone SHOULD not require  IR  based emitter (as smartphones with IR transmitter are little costlier)

To achieve these goals,  I have designed and tested initial version of my Centralized Home IR Appliances control system that can adapt and control different IR appliances at very cheap cost. The system has following features:
  • It is cheap
  • It Generic and one can add any number of IR devices
    • All one has to for adding new IR appliance is to add the IR codes in form of property file
  • Works with most of the smartphone (at present only android phones)
  • Gives generic REST based interfaces to control these appliances (TODO)
  • Gives generic RBAC control of these IR appliances (TODO)

For implementing initial working prototype, I chose:
  • Common costs for all IR appliances in a Home
    • 9$ Chip Computer as central control system where all Smart Phones sends commands . This device is common for all IR appliances in home (that are in same WiFi network). Though  I have chose 9$ chip-computer, once can use Raspberry-PI or any computer that run python.


  • 2A Power supply for each IR transmitter 2$ (approximate)
      • Per IR appliance costs for IR Transmission
        • For each IR appliance, I have put one ESP8266 device to send IR commands (which costed me 2.82$). For each IR appliance , we need to this board (in case if both appliances are not in same IR visibility)
        • I bought one IR Transmitter for 1.1$ (approximate) 
        • Power supply for each IR transmitter 1.1$ (approximate)

      At present the system control my TV and set-top-box. In future, I am going add more devices like my LG-Air-Conditioner

      I have put code in 3 projects in Git-Hub:

      30 comments:

      1. can you upload a tutorial video?

        ReplyDelete
      2. Wow, What a Excellent post. I really found this to much informatics. It is what i was searching for.I would like to suggest you that please keep sharing such type of info.Thanks telecomando universale condizionatore

        ReplyDelete
      3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

        ReplyDelete
      4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

        ReplyDelete
      5. hank you so much for sharing this great blog.Very inspiring and helpful too.Hope you continue to share more of your ideas.I will definitely love to read.Labor Day TV Sales

        ReplyDelete
      6. Interesting post. I Have Been wondering about this issue, so thanks for posting. Pretty cool post.It 's really very nice and Useful post.Thanks remote control computer

        ReplyDelete
      7. Sometime few educational blogs become very helpful while getting relevant and new information related to your targeted area. As I found this blog and appreciate the information delivered to my database.
        Smart power

        ReplyDelete
      8. This blog is truly useful to convey overhauled instructive undertakings over web which is truly examination. I discovered one fruitful case of this truth through this blog. I will utilize such data now.
        Mains power filter

        ReplyDelete
      9. I should say only that its awesome! The blog is informational and always produce amazing things. tamildhool app

        ReplyDelete
      10. An author must have a vast knowledge of vocabulary. The dictionary of a writer must be full of new english vocabulary to make their work more attractive. Use of new words makes their work more valuable and graceful.
        Surge protector power board

        ReplyDelete
      11. I really appreciate this wonderful post that you have provided for us. I assure this would be beneficial for most of the people. vetement femme

        ReplyDelete
      12. I am impressed. I don't think Ive met anyone who knows as much about this subject as you do. You are truly well informed and very intelligent. You wrote something that people could understand and made the subject intriguing for everyone. Really, great blog you have got here. Orla customer care

        ReplyDelete
      13. wow this saintly however ,I love your enter plus nice pics might be part personss negative love being defrent mind total poeple , rachat de crédit immobilier

        ReplyDelete
      14. This is very interesting content! I have thoroughly enjoyed reading your points and have come to the conclusion that you are right about many of them. You are great. mutuelle sénior

        ReplyDelete
      15. In this article understand the most important thing, the item will give you a keyword rich link a great useful website page: ecommece web hosting

        ReplyDelete
      16. Thanks for writing such a good article, I stumbled onto your blog and read a few post. I like your style of writing... movies123

        ReplyDelete
      17. On this page you can read my interests, write something special. Mercruiser lower unit parts

        ReplyDelete
      18. Boughts supplies replacement parts for general consumer electronics like TV Remote and other TV accessories. Boughts has a wide range of Original TV Stands for all Brands of Televisions. Visit our website (https://boughts.com) to place your order.

        ReplyDelete
      19. Without fail, your writing style is top professional; even your website also looks amazing thank you for posting. pet products

        ReplyDelete
      20. Thanks for your post. I’ve been thinking about writing a very comparable post over the last couple of weeks, I’ll probably keep it short and sweet and link to this instead if thats cool. Thanks. itv

        ReplyDelete
      21. It is my first visit to your blog, and I am very impressed with the articles that you serve. Give adequate knowledge for me. Thank you for sharing useful material. I will be back for the more great post. aplikasi visa india

        ReplyDelete
      22. A preamplifier is mounted close to the antenna. The reason is so that weak signals can be capture and turned into strong signals. In other words, it swallows weak signals. Its output is a strong signal that tolerates noise. best outdoor tv antenna preamplifier

        ReplyDelete
      23. The Test Bank for Lewis Medical Surgical Nursing 11th Edition by Harding is a study guide that will thoroughly prepare you for your upcoming exam. Download your free sample today! med surg test bank

        ReplyDelete
      24. I have a hard time describing my thoughts on content, but I really felt I should here. Your article is really great. I like the way you wrote this information. smp minecraft servers

        ReplyDelete
      25. Good website! I truly love how it is easy on my eyes it is. I am wondering how I might be notified whenever a new post has been made. I have subscribed to your RSS which may do the trick? Have a great day! best minecraft 1.18.1 servers

        ReplyDelete
      26. What a thrilling post. It is extremely chock-full of useful information. Thanks for such a great info. prison minecraft servers

        ReplyDelete
      27. It is a good site post without fail. Not too many people would actually, the way you just did. I am impressed that there is so much information about this subject that has been uncovered and you’ve defeated yourself this time, with so much quality. Good Works! parkour servers minecraft

        ReplyDelete